Tuesday 11 November 2014

In Which We Discuss Books I Read in my 26th Year, Week 13/52

Another slow week.  I've been working my way through The Second Sex, so everything else has pretty much taken a back seat to that.

Aberystwyth Mon Amour is a hard-boiled detective novel set in Aberystwyth, a quite little Welsh seaside town.  The juxtaposition is kind of funny, and it's an interesting read.  I had a really nice day trip to Aberystwyth back in February, and I saw them in the museum then, so I bought it when it popped up cheaply on Kindle.

Rivers of London is a police procedural meets Harry Potter.  MET Cop learns magic is real, learns some, hunts ghost-serial-killer who is murdering through evil voodoo puppetry.  I'm reading it for a bookclub.  The meeting isn't for quite a while, but I was on a Sunday shift at work, and we can generally get away with reading then.  Only paperbacks, no kindles, hence why I didn't get on with The Second Sex (the bookclub for that is this Saturday!).

I actually read the sequel to this a while ago.  I don't remember disliking it, but though I've had Rivers of London on my bookcase for a while I just haven't gotten around to actually reading it till now.

No comments: