Wednesday 21 September 2016

In Which We Discuss Books I Read in my 28th Year, Week 5/52

9 books last week, probably because I spent most of it on the Megabus.  10th to the 16th of September.

Four audiobooks, three of which I'd read before; Thud, Snuff and The Girl Who Loved Tom GordonMap of Bones is the one I'd not read before.

A realisation from Snuff:  Young Sam reminds me a lot of the kid from Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.  You're constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop, for him to be frightened of goblins or something...and then he just doesn't.

Bin Ich Klein? is the first book in German that I've ever read.  It's aimed at toddlers, which is about my language level.  I liked it!

The Good Study Guide is a pretty useful resource; I read that and Origin of Species to get back into the habit of studying before my course starts on Monday (though I do already have my first assignment...).

I was pretty disappointed by Light of the Fireflies.  It involved reprehensible people doing shitty things in the name of love.  The one voice of reason is raped and murdered.

It also featured someone brushing their teeth with the foam someone else had spat out, which strikes me as one of the most disgusting things imaginable.  It seems even more disgusting than consuming something gross, I suspect because toothpaste is the stuff you clean yourself with.  At least if you eat something disgusting you can clean yourself afterwards.  When the thing you clean yourself with is disgusting then there's no escape.

The language and metaphors were also incredibly clumsy, although, to be fair, it's translated from the Spanish, so perhaps it's not coming across well.

No comments: