Monday 11 September 2017

In Which We Discuss War & Peace - Chapters II and III

I was considering splitting these posts up so each covered five sections each, but I figured that would be harder to stick to.  My comments on chapter I are here.

Chapter II


Anna's drawing room is filling up with rich people, including Prince Vasili's not-Anatole children and Princess Bolkonskaya, who is a relative of the princess they want to set Anatole up with.  I've been trying to remember where I've heard of an Anatole before, and I think it's Kerensky's first name in Red Shirts.  Princess Bolkonskaya has brought embroidery to the party.  I like her.  I bring my knitting and cross-stitch all sorts of places.  I bore easily.

Pierre has also shown up.  He is, apparently, very rude, through a mixture of confusion and naivety.  He doesn't realise how importance it is to hear an old woman he doesn't know talk about how royalty will save them from war.  Apparently, he is the bastard son of a count and was educated abroad; perhaps this is code for "raised by wolves".  Anna is worried about him, while she's trying to be a good hostess and force her friends together, like a big smashed-together melting pot.


Chapter III

So, Prince Vasili's non-Anatole son (Hippolyte) has brought a friend, Vicomte Mortemart, who sounds like an arrogant prat.  He "evidently [considers] himself a celebrity" but is being very modest and hanging out with Anna Pavlovna, who is "serving him up as a treat to her guests".  Anna is also very pleased to be talking to a vicomte.  What a star-fucker.  Apparently, Princess Helene is very beautiful and very cleavage-y, and yet also modest.  Her brother, Hippolyte - these are Prince Vasili's children - looks just like her, but is hideous.  Perhaps this is the origin of the trope that hideous men suddenly become irresistible women when in drag.  Apparently, it has to do with him being dull and stupid.  How very Roald Dahl.



No comments: