Tuesday 27 February 2018

In Which We Discuss War and Peace: Part 2, Chapter 4

I have two Russian classmates who have been able to shed some light on some things that were confusing me.  For instance, addressing someone with their patronomic is respectful but less distant that using their full name.  And Archduke Ferdinand is Ferdinand von Wintzingerode

Also, I checked my stats and I noticed that most of my readers are from Russia.  Privyet!  Any mistakes or misinterpretations are mine alone.  I feel a bit self-conscious now.

Chapter 4

We are still with the army, specifically Nikolai Rostov, the eldest Rostov son, who is quartered in Salzenick in Germany (remember, Anna and Darling Bory went to see the Rostovs; Natasha/Natalya is their youngest).  He is living with Vasily Denisov, the calvary-captain and squadron commander.  It is October 11th (I have forgotten the year) and the camp is astir "with the news of Mack's defeat".  I don't know how Mack is.  My Russian lab partner is looking it up in the original.




Okay, Mack is Karl Mack von Leiberich, who was defeated in 1805.  Apparently this is a big deal.  Denisov has been out losing at cards.  I am going to assume he was playing with Dolokhov.  Nikolai Rostov has been out for a foraging expedition.  He is met by several (two) hussars, because he is known to be a liberal tipper.  After greeting his German landlord - in German - he gets Denisov's manservant, Lavrushka, to bring him some coffee.  Nikolai Rostov (I need some kind of nickname for him, but for now I'm just going with that) appears to be having a lot of fun, exercising and playing soldiers in the healthy fresh air.  Denisov - who cannot pronounce his 'r's - is back.  He is bored with playing at soldiering, especially since there aren't even any women around.  He's also bored of drinking and losing at cards constantly.  He is eager to get to war; I have a suspicion that he will regret this.


Lieutenant Telyanin enters.  No one likes him, including Nikolai Rostov.  Possibly because Telyanin sold him a horse for twice the price it was worth. They go off to look at the horse, and when Rostov gets back, Denisov is writing a letter.  Rostov offers to lend him some money, and it turns out that Denisov's purse is missing.


Rostov immediately suspects Telyanin and goes off to confront him.  He's happy with seeing Telyanin begging for his career not to be ruined and lets him keep the money.  I'm with Denisov, I want these guys to get to the actual warzone.

No comments: