Friday 3 April 2020

In Which We Discuss War and Peace, Part 13, Chapter 16

Chapter 16

I've not been writing for a while because, firstly, my final year lab report is due at the end of the month and is worth 16% of my entire degree grade.  Secondly, we're back in the war chapters and I'm less interested in those.  Oh, I've also started reading another Stephen King novel - I still consider myself in the middle of the project to read all of Stephen King's published works, even though I've not actually read one since before I began my degree - so that's been taking up a little of my attention.  Anyway.

Bolkhovitinov has been riding through a dark and stormy night with a message from Dokhturov and Yermelov.  Napoleon is at Firminsk, which sounds like quiet exciting news - I think this means he's closer than they initially thought he was, based on the last chapter? - but no one seems willing to believe it at first.  Eventually, the message starts making its way up the chain of command and many people are woken because, to quote Good Omens (I think) if a man is woken up in alarm at 3am, he at least wants to know that he isn't alone.  One of those woken is Peter Petrovich Konovnitsyn, who, like Dokhturov, isn't thought of as a brilliant general, but is always just quietly getting on with his job in the most difficult situations.  He's not looking forward to passing the message up to Bennigsen, who doesn't like Kutuzov and will do stupid things.  He's pretty sure all the higher ups will waste time bickering and doing stupid things.  He is proven right.

No comments: