Tuesday 27 April 2010

In Which We Discuss the Awesomeness of Birmingham Central Library

I reserved a couple of books at the library the other day, and whilst looking online, I noticed one I'd forgotten about - Living Dolls: The Return Of Sexism. It had slipped my mind because I'd reserved it way back in February.

Normally, the library is very good at getting reservations in quickly - the wait time is usually less than a week, unless I'm waiting for someone else to return it, which can be up to a month. So, the next time I went in, I asked about it.

The gentleman on the desk had a look, and we found out that there is a long line of eight people waiting to read that book, with me seventh on the list. I asked if it was worth requesting that the library buy another copy of the book, and he apologetically told me that, since Central Library already had their copy, it was unlikely they'd get another one. I thanked him for the information, and resigned myself to an eight month wait (or possibly, buying it on amazon). That was about a week ago. Today, I received the following email;

Dear Miss Ravel

Last week you spoke to one of my colleagues about a book called 'Living
Dolls: The Return Of Sexism'. There was only one copy in stock and several
reservations already. After he spoke to you, he informed me of the long
reservation list. I have passed the details on to the head of our
department in the hope that she will be able to buy some more copies. You
are already on the reservation list, but hopefully this will mean you don't
have to wait quite so long.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any queries.

Claire Jackson
Library Assistant
Central Lending

...now that's customer service.

Also; I really, really like being called "Miss Ravel".

No comments: