Saturday 4 January 2014

In Which We Discuss Night Shift

So, it took me a while (from August 2nd to August 26th, according to GoodReads) but I finished Stephen King's Night Shift.

It didn't take so long because I wasn't enjoying it.  It's more because it's short stories, which you can dip in and out of at will.  I read a few other things during this time purely because I could, without breaking the flow of a longer novel.

Anyway, Night Shift.  Published in 1978, it consists of short stories from early in King's career, the majority of which were published in various magazines in the years before Carrie came out.  In various introductions and interviews (don't ask me which ones) Stephen King has discussed the way in which the pressure to raise money for his family - a wife and a baby during the majority of those years, if I recall correctly.  I believe both he and Pratchett have talked about what a huge motivator it is to really need to earn money from writing.

...I started that post back in August.  Dear god, it's already January.  How did that happen?

Oh, I know.  It involved full time work, rather than being unemployed, and a couple of twelve hour shifts.  They were overtime and I got time and a half, my workplace isn't that cruel.

Stephen King's next book is The Stand, which I have on kindle.  I'll get to it at some point.

No comments: