Wednesday 8 January 2014

In Which We Discuss Week 1 of 2014

Between the 1st and 7th of January this year, I read;

In Stitches - Nick Edward's memoir of his time as an A&E doctor.  I read quite a few books by NHS personnel last year.  This one was pretty good.  Split into nice short chapters, some good anecdotes, etc.  I gave it four stars.

Charmed Season 9, 3 and 4 - I bought myself both of these for Christmas.  The television series, Charmed, ended with eight seasons, but a further season was produced in comic format.  It reintroduces Prue in her afterlife, brings Cole back, and generally carries on with the series.  I liked it a bit better than the last few season; although Phoebe still suffers from fantastic racism against Cole, she's not as much of a Mary Sue when Alyssa Milano isn't in charge.  I gave both collections four stars.

Poems - Edna St Vincent Millary (Everyman Library) - I first heard of Millay a few weeks ago, during some random wikisourcing.  I loved what I read on there, so requested this for Christmas.  It's amazing.  I love so many of her poems.  She reminds me of Dorothy Parker.  I also love the fact that she preferred to be called Vincent and that she won the Pulitzer prize for poetry in 1923.  Five stars.

Gibbon's Decline and Fall - Sheri S. Tepper is one of my absolute favourite authors, and this is one of the books of hers that I like best.  Five stars.

No comments: