Sunday 4 January 2015

In Which We Discuss Books I Read in my 26th Year, Week 20/52


I finished three audiobooks this week - the first and second season of Clare in the Community and Daughter, by Jane Shemilt.  All three were new to me, which is unusual because I normally find it hard to concentrate on new books and prefer to get audio versions of stories I am already familiar with.  I did have this problem with Daughter; it started to drag, so I put it on 3x speed and made a rule to listen to a chapter a day.  This kept it ticking along nicely and I finished the last three hours in one day (it's a nine hour book).

Clare in the Community is a radio drama based on a comic strip, starring lots and lots of fabulous voice acting from people like Sally Philips and Nina Conti.  Each season is made up of six 28 minute episodes, making them about two and a half hours long.  They're pretty fun, and they're about £6 per season on Audible.

Shopaholic on Honeymoon is a short story and part of Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series.  I used to love these, but the reviews on the latest one really put me off.  This one is set inbetween the third and fourth books, and I didn't particularly enjoy it, so unless it pops up for 50p on KindofBook I probably won't be reading it.

Last Act was one of Christopher Pike's adult novels, as opposed to the teen fiction he's more known for.  So is Sati.  I've wanted to read Sati for years.  The first chapter of it was at the end of one of Christopher Pike's other books and I always wondered what happened next.  I'm glad I know.


Sati is about a god incarnating in the body of a young girl.   Or possibly about a girl who thinks she's god.  The author indicates that the former interpretation is the more accurate one.

Call Waiting is one of RL Stein's books for teenagers rather than children, like the Goosebumps series.  I found it short and predictable.  I'd forgotten that I'd actually read it before, back in 2012, though it did start to seem familiar halfway through. 

Jaded, I forget why I bought.  It's badly written.  The author spells the word 'ew' as 'ewe'.  It's about a rock star (actually, more like pop star) who decides to finish out her last year in high school.  Lots of missing and found siblings, handsome guys, etc.  It's part of a trilogy which I don't plan to finish.  It was very cheap.

Anne of Green Gables.  I've been reading it at work on wikisource for a few weeks. I've read it before; it's a classic, after all. I love Anne, and how proud Matthew and Marilla are of her.  It has a lot in common with Pollyanna, but Anne is much less of a little goodygoody.

Finally, Grave Secret.  It's the fourth and last of the Harper Connelly Series, and I was worried that it would just trail off rather than wrapping up the story properly.  Happily, it does wrap up the mystery that's been in the background for the other three books, though it does seem a little rushed.  I'm glad to have closure, rushed or not.

No comments: