Wednesday 11 February 2015

In Which We Discuss Books I Read in my 26th Year, Week 26/52


Only two books this week; The Man in the Rubber Mask and The Handmaid's Tale.

The Man in the Rubber Mask is the autobiography of Robert Llewellyn, who played Kryten in season 3 and onwards of Red Dwarf.  Some backstage gossip - most of it outdated, from early season of Red Dwarf - and lots of whinging about the rubber mask and middle class guilt.  Interesting read though, especially for a fan.

The Handmaid's Tale was a book I read for my sci-fi book group.  This is the more literary one, which reads Hugo and Nebula award winners, as opposed to the more pulpy one which just reads whatever sounds fun.  Handmaid's Tale is one I read years ago, when I was about fourteen.  I think reading it was a big part of identifying as a feminist, for me.  I also like the language in it; my favourite line is "I describe the rope" after a passage where the narrator - Offred, or June - has spent a while doing just that, while discussing coping methods.  I'm kind of talked out on after the other evening, to be honest.

I've not read anything by Stephen King for ages.  Finally bit the bullet and bought a copy of The Talisman.  I'm not planning to start it right away, since I have six books I'm currently reading, but once I've finished House of Leaves, I'll get into it.  Though I'll also be starting Dan Simmons Hyperion then....

No comments: