Tuesday 17 February 2015

In Which We Discuss Books I Read in my 26th Year, Week 27/52


Six books this week!  Four of them I've been working on for a while.  The Calculus, for instance, I started last November, simply because I'd never quite mastered it and it was bugging me.  I feel like I have a much better grasp on it now, though I'd need to look up the specific techniques to actually solve a calculus problem.

The Fourth Science Fiction Megapack is something I bought when I first got my kindle because it was less than £1.  It's a hefty collection of 25 short stories, including Ayn Rand's Anthem.  It's a very nice collection, especially for the price.

Saffy's Angel is an audiobook I listened to with Tom in the car, whenever we had a long trip.  It's short - four hours - but it took a while, because we spend most of the time in the car chatting.  It was nice.  I'll probably look for later books in the series on Kindle.

The Hockey Term at Trebizon is another children's book, or at least, aimed at young adults.  This was the first book in the Trebizon series that I read, when I was eight or nine.  It's a boarding school series about close friends who work hard and play hard, like a slightly more mature The Twins at St Claire's.

Speaking of twins, The Girls is written from the point of view of a set of conjoined twins, Rose and Ruby Darlen.  I first read it in 2007 or 8, and recently bought it as an audiobook.

House of Leaves is a book I'm really glad I read.  It's about a young man, Johnny Truant, who find the masterwork of one of his neighbours, following their death.  The book is about a documentary, which is entirely fictitious.  It includes a number of footnotes and references which are also fictitious both in our world and in Johnny's.  The documentary is about a family, who move in a house which suddenly starts expanding and shrinking alarmingly.  It's very experimental; when the family are in a labyrinth for instance, the words are suddenly laid out like a labyrinth, which links to footnotes which eventually lead to deadends, and cause one to backtrack to the main text.

Finally, The Wonderful and Terrible Reasons Why I Run Long Distances.  It's by The Oatmeal, and includes expanded comics on the blerch and other fitness related issues, several of which appears on his webcomic, but a few which haven't.  It's a quickread; took me an hour last night.  I enjoyed it.

No comments: