Friday 9 October 2015

In Which We Discuss Books I Read in my 27th Year, Week 8/52



Six books this week - 1st October to 7th October.  Two I'd read before, a library book, and three books from my unread pile.

The Forbidden Game is an old favourite.  Like Labyrinth meets Jumanji, and I know those are both movies, that's why they're not bolded.  A girl buys a board game for her boyfriend's birthday party and ends up working her way through a house full of nightmares, fending off the advances of a kind of Hades-Loki figure.  This was the audiobook version, which was pretty good!

Amanda's Wedding is another book I've loved since my teenage years.  Again, the audiobook.  I liked the reader.  She did the accents quite well, and this is the first audiobook to make me start giggling like a lunatic while walking to work.

I liked The Secret History much better than The Little Friend.  The Little Friend is written from the viewpoint of the most annoying character, while The Secret History is about the death of that character.  Much better.

The Lie escalated quickly.  It goes from being a little bit mysterious to dead bodies being basically everywhere.  And I was never quite sure what the titular lie actually was.

Fairest was a great addition to Marissa Meyers series, and now I'm really looking forward to Winter.  It took me an amazingly long time to realize it was a Snow White reference.  Now that I know more about Queen Levana I want to go back and read Cinder again.

Finally, Tale of Murasaki.  It's a fictionalized account of the life of Murasaki Shikibu author of The Tale of Genji.






And an update to my unread pile.  89 books left, after buying a collection of Gaiman's work on Humble Bundle, which bumped it up by 18.  I quite want to complete an entire line, like in bingo.  Maybe line 9, since there are only three left in there anyway.  I'd also like to read one from each row.

No comments: