Wednesday 30 September 2015

In Which We Discuss Books I Read in my 27th Year, Week 7/52

 Four books this week!  24th - 30th September!

Katy is a modern retelling of What Katy Did, by Jacqueline Wilson.  I quite enjoyed it.  I like the original, but there are a lot of problems with the portrayal of disability from a modern viewpoint, and I like how it dealt with those.  I've always liked Elsie best, and though she's slightly less sweet here, I still liked her. 

Eyes of the Dragon I've read before.  It's part of my Stephen King Chronological Reading Project, and I need to write a longer post about it soon.

Ilium I read for a bookclub.  I then slept right through the bookclub.  I liked the book though; I really liked Song of Kali and don't enjoy Simmons' hard sci-fi quite as much, but this was okay.

Chocolate Shoes and Wedding Blues is a book I've had on my to-read list for a while.  I like that the main character isn't an idiot and that ridiculously obvious plot points aren't dragged out.  For instance, it's blatantly obvious to the reader what's going on with the heroine's fiance, and she follows in this realization only a chapter later; some novels would have dragged this mystery on for the entire story.


No comments: