Tuesday 12 December 2017

In Which We Discuss War and Peace - Chapter XXIII

Chapter XXIII

Count Bezukhov - Uncle Cyril - is being given his last rites, in the presence of Pierre, Anna, Prince Vasili, and some princesses (I've lost track of the princesses).  We are predominantly following Pierre's viewpoint; he is out of his depth.  Anna has wrangled herself into helping carry Uncle Cyril around.  Pierre finally gets close to him, and follows Anna's unspoken directions in kissing his father's hand.  He is completely overwhelmed; everyone around him expects something from him, and he is big and clumsy and doesn't know what the rules are.





I like Pierre.  I reached my adult height at twelve, so I spent my formative teenage years towering over everyone around me.  I think he feels like that, but all the time.  Poor woobie.

Uncle Cyril wants to be turned over; Pierre helps the servant to do so, and as they turn Uncle Cyril, his arm flops about because he doesn't have the strength to move it.  When Uncle Cyril sees how much this terrifies Pierre, he puts on a brave smile and Pierre wells up.  Then he falls asleep and Anna takes Pierre away.


No comments: