Saturday 1 June 2013

In Which We Discuss Annie Murray and My Unread Pile

It's June 1st, and my unread pile has 154 books in it (including one that I finished today, but I'm counting anyway because it was still unread by the end of May).  According to GoodReads, I read six books between the 20th and the 31st - Juliet, Naked I finished today.  Don't ask me where the rest went.  Some I gave to my grandmother, with the knowledge that they'll be there when/if I want to read them.  I also bought one new book.  I think my books breed and hide from me, because the numbers never quite seem to add up.




I've really enjoyed this project, even though I didn't succeed in my goal.  Some of those books have been there for almost a decade, and I don't know why I never got to them before, because some of them were awesome.  Annie Murray, who writes books set in Birmingham, will be giving a talk at my local library soon, so I expect I'll get a few of hers out of the pile over the next week or so.  She'll be speaking about her new book, The Women of Lilac Street, and that'll be at South Yardley Library on the 17th of June, between 10:30am and 11:30am.

I like that Annie Murray's books are set in Birmingham.  There was a weird moment, when I read My Daughter, My Mother when I was on the exact same bus that the character was travelling on.  I like that.  I like being able to picture the street the characters are on - it happens so rarely.

I really liked Soldier Girl, the middle entry of a trilogy of girls growing up in Birmingham in the early 20th century.  I like Molly.  I would like to be friends with her.

One of her books that I didn't like was Orphan of Angel Street.  The main character seemed like a complete Mary Sue.  She was so perfect, and terrible tragic things happened to her, because she was so perfect and lovely and everyone wanted her, but it all worked out okay.  I just found it a bit melodramatic, and found it hard to like the character, near the end.

The librarian whom I asked about the event highly recommended Where Earth Meets Sky, which I have.  I think I'll probably reread Soldier Girl and that before the 17th.

No comments: