Monday 17 June 2013

In Which We Discuss Annie Murray, Race, and Being a Legend

I have had a very productive morning!

My local library, South Yardley, had Annie Murray speaking at their monthly coffee morning, so I went along.  Apart from the librarians, I was the youngest person by about thirty years.  I can see why Murray's books would appeal to the older generation.  In my case, I like that I know intimately the streets the characters walk on; someone older than me could picture them at the right time, as well.

I got my copy of My Daughter, My Mother signed.  Soldier Girl is actually my favourite, but I don't own a copy.  Also, My Daughter, My Mother is special to me because it's about two single mothers, one of them originally from India/Pakistan, in Birmingham in 1984.  I'm half Indian, and I was born in Birmingham in '88.  As I said when she signed it, that book is the one that's most about me.  Most recently - as in, I finished it at half one this morning - I read Chocolate Girls, about three women living around Bournville/Selly Oak during the second world war and the decade or so afterwards.  I liked it.  It was a bit hard to push through at first, but it really picked up near the end, and I read the last two hundred or so pages in one go.

I had a nice chat with the cute librarian on the way out.  I found a graphic novel of I Am Legend, so we started talking about that.  He hadn't read it or seen all of the film.  I am disappointed in the cute librarian (not really).  I told him that I liked that the main character was black, even though it was Will Smith, who is the black guy who doesn't scare white people.  I like white people - my mother is one - but, I swear to god, you could pick up any book in the average British library, and some ridiculous percentage will have a white person as the main character.

Then we talked about The Hunger Games.  I started to point out that olive skin isn't freckly, but then remembered that I am olive-skinned and currently have freckles on my shoulders, so I shut up on that point.  We agreed that the outcry over Rue looking exactly as she was described - ie, black - was ridiculous, and he conceded that the casting call for Katniss specifying a white actress was a bit much.

No comments: