Monday 29 July 2013

In Which We Discuss Books I Read Last Week III

I'm actually starting this post a few days early, since I won't have time on Monday - I'll be completing my first day in my new job!



This week has dragged.  It was one thing when unemployment was a long term thing, that stretched on.  I could come up with routines, experiment with recipes within my meagre budget, and generally just get on with living.  Now though, I'm not living, I'm waiting.  For my real life to begin.  So I'll read a book or maybe two or three...

Neverwhere - This has been in my unread pile for a while.  I like most of Neil Gaiman's stuff, though recently, I've found it hard to forget his association with and support of Amanda Palmer, considering the Evelyn and Evelyn trainwreck (post here about why it was so terrible).  Anyway, that's probably why it took me so long to get to Neverwhere.

I liked Neverwhere.  I read it over two days, and it was interesting and absorbing, and so on.  I don't know why though, I just can't get excited about it.  The plot is what you might imagine you'd get if someone with an interest in fantasy started having fever dreams beneath a map of London tube stations.  I gave it 4/5 stars, but I'm thinking of revising it to 3.

I seem to be the last amongst my group of friends to have read it.  When I checked goodreads, they'd all left their stars already.

The Perfect Murder - I actually read this last week, or maybe the week before, but completely forgot to mark it as finished.  It's a collection of short stories, like The Perfect Escape, which I read two weeks ago.  Essentially, you get a bunch of short stories and a sample chapter of a novel by the same author to go with each one.  They were pretty good, especially since the Kindle edition was free.  I gave it 3/5.

We Use Coupons, You Should Too - this is yet another book aimed at an American market.  I read it because I'm frugal and because I have an odd habit of reading non-fiction books that do not in any way apply to me.  For instance, I'm currently reading Babynomics, a finance book written for expectant parents.  When I was about thirteen or so, I read The Selfish Pig's Guide to Caring, which is even more irrelevant to me, since I have no intention of ever becoming a carer.  It was very well written though.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading this.  It's a very thorough guide, and even though much of it doesn't apply to me, I  still found it interesting.  And now I'm tempted to go look up couponing (vouchering?) in the UK.

...okay, it's now Monday, and I did google it, and it's not really possible.  I gave it 3/5 stars anyway.

I picked up Nikki Grahame's Fragile in another Kind of Book sale, if I recall correctly.  I'm working on a longer post about it, so I won't say too much here.  I gave it 4/5 stars.

Finally, The Shining.  Another one that I want to discuss in another post.  For some reason, it took me ages to read it; a good fortnight or so.  Unusual for me, especially since I didn't hate it.  3/5.

No comments: