Monday 1 July 2013

In Which We Discuss 'Salem's Lot

So, I finished 'salem's Lot last night/early this morning.  It took me a while, and not just because the book is so long.  Honestly, I just wasn't feeling it.

I've read 'salem's Lot before, but only once, and I didn't remember much about it at all.  This must have been pre-2011, because there was no record of it on my goodread's account, so it's no wonder I didn't remember much.  The fact that I've not re-read it since then is also telling.

I'm finding it really hard to get excited about 'salem's Lot.  Lots of people do really like it, and I'm sure that the fact that I wasn't feeling it right now affected my enjoyment.  Along with other things like, the illustrated edition is really hard to hold up, and it made my wrists hurt.  But, yeah.  The Shining next, which I've owned for years but never read.  Never seen the film either.

There're two short stories, Jerusalem's Lot and One for the Road, prequel and sequel respectively.  Both are included in the illustrated edition.  Apparently, they also show up in Night Shift (which I have read before, though I don't recall every story in it).  Father Callahan later shows up in the Dark Tower series, too.  'salem's Lot was adapted into two mini-series' - one in 1979 and one in 2004 - a movie, Return to 'Salem's Lot which served as a sequel to the '79 series, and a radio drama in 1995.  I don't intend to watch any of these.  However, I did watch the '76 movie of Carrie, and the sequel, The Rage.  The Rage was originally intended to be an original work, but they turned it into a sequel both to cash in on the success of Carrie and to avoid accusations of plagiarism.  I remember both gave me nightmares as a teenager, but I didn't find them overly terrifying now (this may have something to do with playing dot hack at the same time).  I couldn't get ahold of the 2002 movie, which I did quite want to see.  Apparently, they changed the ending a little, with the idea of spinning off into a TV series, but, unfortunately, that was not to be.

Another remake was due to be released a few months ago, but was pushed back to October.  I'm quite excited to see it, based purely on the fact that, from the trailer, the town looks exactly like how I picture it when I read the book.

To finish; an anecdote.  I can't quite recall where I've read it, but, essentially, after Carrie, Stephen King had written two novels, Roadwork and 'salem's Lot, either of which could be published.  His agent told him that 'salem's Lot was the better choice, but....but what?  Well, if we publish 'salem's lot, you'll be stereotyped as a horror writer.

King's reply?  "I don't care what they call me as long as the cheques don't bounce."

No comments: