Sunday 14 July 2013

In Which We Discuss Opal Kobo and Melinda Kindle

...yes, of course I name my electronics, don't you?

I bought my Kobo Mini back in December, just before going away for Christmas.  Before buying an eReader, I'd take piles of books away with me, which left barely any room for clothes.  Also, they were heavy and hard to carry around.  When I saw that Kobo Mini's were reduced to £49.99 I made a split-second decision that I'd rather pay £50 than cart books around with me for a week like I did in 2011.  If you were wondering, Opal Kobo is a reference to Opal Koboi, a character in Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl books.  I reread them just before Christmas, so they were on my mind.

Melinda Kindle (a Paperwhite) I bought just yesterday.  I start work on the 29th (!), and a bit of calculation showed that if I am very careful not to eat too much I can afford to buy her now without being unable to pay my bills.  I was going to wait until my birthday, on the 12th of August, but then I remembered that I am a grown up and can give myself presents whenever I like, bank account willing.  I wasn't too ingenious with her name, I've just been watching a lot of Charmed lately.

I love my Kobo Mini.  It fits right into my pocket, has a touchscreen, and is so much lighter than physical books.  It's really convenient for reading on packed buses, and for general carrying about purposes.  It was also super cheap, and does this cool thing where it tells me how many pages are left in a chapter.

I wanted a Paperwhite to fill in a few gaps.  Although it is often convenient to have an eReader in my pocket, I wanted to have a bigger screen to look at sometimes.  I also wanted something that lit up - over Christmas, I stayed in a youth hostel, and it would have been nice to be able to read without a light on.  I've felt that urge at night, too.  I wanted a Kindle specifically because the chapter page count thing goes weird if you read a Kindle book on the Kobo, and I really liked the idea of the timing thing that it does - it tells you how long it'll take you to finish the current chapter and the entire book, based on your previous reading speed.  It needed to be touch screen, which ruled the original Kindle out.  That thing doesn't light up anyway.  I didn't feel the urge to go up to a Kindle Fire simply because I want just an eReader, not a tablet.

Of course, both Kobo and Kindle have iOS apps, and I have both of them on my phone.  I just rarely look at them.  I really don't like reading books on my phone.  I think it has to do with the size of the screen.

Anyway, my next two posts will describe both devices.  I don't want to put them into one post, because then it looks like a comparison, which it isn't.  If I thought one device was better than the other, I'd have sold one by now.

No comments: