Tuesday 9 September 2014

In Which We Discuss Books I Read in my 26th Year, Week 4/52


Wow.  I've been twenty-six for a month already.  That's gone quite fast.

Most of these books were new to me, though some had been sitting in my unread pile for quite a while.  Feather Boy has been in there for about a year, and I'm so glad I left it in there.  I considered donating it to a charity shop so many times.  It's aimed at either children or young adults, and I really liked it.

Everyday Bento is a nice beginners guide to creating pretty bentoes for children, although there's no reason not to scale up.  It includes specific directions for making a few designs which is nice, although it doesn't tend to reuse things like picks very often, so if you wanted to make them as specified there'd be quite a huge initial outlay.  Good for ideas though.  It goes more into modern bento designs rather than bento theory.

Bad Science is a book I've read before.  It's basically a long rant by Ben Goldacre over common mistakes in how science is reported in the media, along with calling out specific people who spread inaccurate information along with why exactly it's inaccurate.

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan is another one that's been on my unread pile for over a year.  I bought it for my kobo ages ago, and I'm quite pleased to have gotten round to reading it now.  It reminded me a lot of Shanghai Girls which was the first book of Lisa See's that I read, and which I really enjoyed.  It continued the theme of two women who are close, and yet who misunderstand each other.  I also liked learning about Nu Shu, which was a secret script used by and known only to women.

Finally, Danse Macabre.  I read it as part of my Chronological Reading Project, and I loved it.  It's non-fiction, and covers horror through the fifties, sixties and seventies.  King discusses his favourite films and novels, and how he felt they contributed to the genre, as well as his thoughts on the genre itself.  It includes recommended reading/watching lists at the end, and I'm pretty sold on them.

This was a good week!

No comments: