Thursday 4 September 2014

In Which We Discuss Integral Ameretat

There is an art to putting a meal together.  You need a balance of flavour, of lightness and heaviness, of nutrition, of crunchiness and softness, and so on.  You need contrast amongst dishes which should also complement each other - they complete each other.

There isn't a word for this.  At least, not as far as google can tell me.  But when I googled, I found two words I liked.  Integral stands alone, obviously, but I also liked this sentence, from here;

The word integral is used in Spanish to describe wholeness (as in wholemeal bread or whole wheat).

Ameretat I got from here, and this was the quote I liked;

...in the Yasna, the great liturgical text of Zoroastrian ritual, Haurvatat and Ameretat are repeatedly honored: one as the divine guardian of the water and other liquids used in the libations of the ritual, the other as the guardian of the plant materials used in the ritual such as wood for the Fire, and the plants, fruits, and flour that make up the foods consecrated at Zoroastrian ceremonies.

So there we go.  Integral Ameretat refers to the completeness and wholeness of a meal, and how the dishes interact and complement and contrast with one another.  I made it up.  Let's use it!

No comments: