Monday 20 October 2014

In Which We Discuss Fairy Tale Anthologies

Terri Windling and Ellen Datlow have collected several volumes of rewritten fairy-tales.  Some of which are amazing.  And you know what drives me mad?  There doesn't seem to be a concise list of them anywhere.  There doesn't even seem to be a collective name for the series.  Even Goodreads doesn't link them together.  How am I supposed to collect them all?  Quite apart from the fact that not all of them are on Kindle.  Honestly.


  • Snow White, Blood Red (1995) - I have a physical copy of this.
  • Black Thorn, White Rose (1995) - I have a physical copy of this.
  • Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears (1996) - I have this on Kobo.
  • Black Swan, White Raven (1997) - I have this on Kobo.
  • Silver Birch, Blood Moon (1999) - this volume contains my favourite story of the entire collection - Nalo Hopkinson's Precious.  I now own this volume on Kindle.
  • Black Heart, Ivory Bones (2000)

Here they are.  I wrote that damn list myself, before finding that if you click very carefully and follow the right links, you can get to this page.  And no, you can't just get there by searching for "snow white, blood red anthology", don't be silly.

As far as I know, the only one you can't get as an ebook is that first one, Snow White, Blood Red, so I'm glad to have my physical copy.

It was actually searching for Precious that lead me to look all this up.  I was fairly sure I'd read it in the first volume I found, which I borrowed from Birmingham Central Library.  I just couldn't remember which one that was, and if I'd later bought a copy or not.  I knew I owned a few physical books, but wasn't sure how many, and I knew I had a few on kobo too.  Glad to have that straightened out!

No comments: