Monday 10 August 2015

In Which We Discuss Books I Read in my 26th Year, Week 51/52

29th July to 4th August.  Six more books.


Three of these were library books -The Rosie Effect, Ghosts of Heaven and China Dolls.

The Rosie Effect is the sequel to a book I've read previously, The Rosie Project.  It's essentially about a more logical Sheldon Cooper having a baby with a less annoying Zooey Deschanel.

Ghosts of Heaven was a bit like House of Leaves for beginners.  Its major themes are time as a spiral and madnessThe introduction says you can read the four sections in any order and thus interpret them differently.  I took him at his word and instead of reading 1234 I read 3241.  It worked pretty well, and I think I did interpret it slightly differently this way.

China Dolls is about three girls in America throughout WW2.  Two are Chinese, one is Japanese masquerading as Chinese.  It's pretty interesting.

Skeleton Crew is one I've read before, and I wrote a longer post about it and Creepshow 2 here.

Gravity is my favourite Tess Gerritsen novel.  It's a medical mystery love story - in space!  Apparently it's quite niche and didn't sell well, so she doesn't intend to write any more.

Tortured Life is a graphic novel in six parts.  I funded it on Kickstarter because I like that company's other work.  They write very dark graphic novels.

No comments: