Wednesday 26 August 2015

In Which We Discuss Books I Read in my 27th Year, Week 2/52


Seven books this week - 19th to 26th August.

Two of these I'd read before; Charm School and Flour Babies.  I got some Audible credits for my birthday, so I got them.  They're only 3-4 hours long each and they're both fairly high on my favourites list.

How Not to be Wrong is non-fiction, about statistics and applied mathematics.  Absolutely fascinating.

Pictures or it Didn't Happen is another Audible book.  It's, again, 3-4 hours long.  Part of the Quick Reads series, and part of Spilling CID.  It's a nice little mystery.  I found it utterly absorbing.

The final audio book for this week was The Collectors.  It's part of His Dark Materials, a short prequel story.  It's about half an hour long.  I regret listening to it on 3x speed - I feel like I missed something.

Time Trips was a library book, as was How Not to Be Wrong.  It's a collection of Dr Who short stories.  Not the best introduction to someone who's never read any, like me, but a nice collection.  It encouraged me to start watching the series on Netflix.

Honestly, the main thing that was putting me off watching it was not knowing where to start.  You can't watch the show from the beginning, and that baffled me.  I'm glad I broke through that barrier.

Finally, Killer Takes it All was a book I found at a truck-stop on my birthday trip to Wales.  It was fun!  A mystery - the second in a series - about a RP gone wrong.  A bit of self-conscious jargon and a satisfying twist.  Great fun.

No comments: