Tuesday 11 August 2015

In Which We Discuss Books I Read in my 26th Year, Week 52/52

The final week!  5th to the 11th of August.  Tomorrow, I complete my 26th trip around the sun (or spiral through the universe) and begin the next one.


Cold Comfort Farm I read because Tom likes it, and we watched the mini-series together.  I felt like I was missing something, so I decided to read the book as well.

Touched and Not That Kind of Girl were both library books.  The former wasn't that great.  A mystery about a haunted house and a kidnapping, neither particularly mysterious or compelling.

Not That Kind of Girl I read because of this article.  I've never actually seen any of Lena Dunham's work though I have heard of some of the controversy - like the time she portrayed an all white New York and claimed not to see colour.  Even her own book portrays her as a spoiled, clueless, narcissist.  But none of those things make her a bad person.  I like that she's body-positive.

I'm now watching her film, Tiny Furniture, since it's on Netflix.  I'd never heard her speak out loud before.  She's very whiny and nasal.


I'm glad I learned more about Lena Dunham, since she is such a large part of the current pop-culture landscape.  Though my feelings are confused.

Finally, Cocktails is simply a beginner's guide to cocktails.  I've been quite into them recently, so I gave it a quick read since it was free on Kindle.

...and that wraps up my 26th year!  I read a total of 261 books over these 52 weeks, at an average of 5.05 per week or 0.72 per day.  Here's a graph.


I'm going to carry on doing this next year.  And I'm going to update my unread pile every month.  Here it is currently.

In future months, a blank space will mean I donated it or otherwise got rid of it without reading it while a cross will mean I've read it.  New books will be surrounded by a golden circle.


That's a total of 79 books.  I've been saying since I was 23 that I was going to get the total down.  Ideally to less than ten at a time.  Maybe by actually tracking them, so they don't grow while I'm not looking, it'll go better!

No comments: