Thursday 13 November 2008

In Which We Discuss Books That Seeped into Real Life

I read a lot. Continually, almost. And sometimes, when I physically put the book down, it's not quite gone.

Take Around the World in Eighty Days. I put that down, when I was halfway through, to go and get something to eat. And I found myself rushing around, feeling like I was in a tremendous hurry. It took me awhile to realise that it wasn't me on a time limit.

Then there was what happened today. Right now I'm reading The Boleyn Inheritance, the sequel to The Other Boleyn Girl, both of which are set in Tudor England. Well, at work, I had to go down to the stockroom, to pick up more cups, and I found a packet that were already opened. And I picked those up to use because, and I quote my exact thoughts "they're impure once they're opened, the dirty little whores. No one else will want them."

See, in Tudor England, being a virgin before marriage was a big deal.

...yeah.

No comments: