Thursday 13 November 2008

In Which We Discuss The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

I just got done reading the two volumes the other day. For those who haven't heard of it, the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is set in late 19th/early 20th century Britain. It presumes that the heroes of certain novels actually existed, and that the books were slightly exaggerated accounts of their adventures. So, we're dealing with the 'man behind the myth' as it were.

The leader of the group is Mina Murray, formerly Harker, as in the wife (divorcee) of Jonathan Harker, from Dracula. Incidentally, there was a film based on the comics (I've been trying to say 'graphic novel', but cba to keep that up. Japanese people aren't ashamed of saying 'manga' for all forms of it). I haven't seen it, but I hear that Mina was sidelined, which sucks.

In the film, or so I hear, Allan Quartermain is the leader of the group. He appears in the books by H. Rider Haggard (grandfather of modern adventure stories). I've read a few of the Quartermain books, but I much prefer the She series (Ayesha - She Who Must Be Obeyed), also by H. Rider Haggard. They have the same kind of appeal for me as Vernes Journey to the Centre of the Earth did. It's a pity we don't have much wilderness or unexplored areas left.:(

Incidentally, Journey to the Centre of the Earth is a great film and a better book. The good thing about the recent film adaptation is that they set it as kind of a sequel. So the events of the book actually happened, and the protagonists of the film are just following in their footsteps. Which happily dealt with any tooth-grinding I might have had over changes, and made a pretty cool film. Not as good as the book, but all 3D and shiny anyway. With extra Brendan Fraser.

There's also Griffin, the Invisible Man, as written by H.G. Wells, who also wrote The Time Machine and The War of the Worlds (which shows up later in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen), among other things. He has a particularly horrible ending, which I do not care to go into. Although the effect with his blood is fairly awesome.

There's also Hyde, as in Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (the latter shows up a lot more). It's very odd to think that, in the original book, it was a huge twist that Jekyll and Hyde were the same person. Fame's kind of spoilt that.

There's also a few other characters, but I liked those best.

Oh, and there's a bit at the end where they're attacked by what appears to be Rupert Bear and Tony the Tiger.

I swear to god, I am not making this up.

No comments: