Thursday 13 November 2008

In Which We Discuss Library Kiosks

My local library is switching over to self-service this week. I'm not entirely sure I approve.

Of course, you should probably know that my first reaction to new things is suspicion and utter hatred, until it begins to grow on me. Then I may accept it and begin to like it. Right now, I do not like the thought of these kiosks.

Basically, instead of taking new books back to friendly librarian, then following my usual routine of walking around the library/going to the other desk to pick up one of my reservations, and then going back around in a nice loop, to the other side of the desk to take those out...well, I'm not sure exactly how it will be instead. But I like that routine.

The kiosks are meant to allow me to return books and drop them into the bin next to them, instead of giving them to a real person. I like real people. Plus, I like seeing a real person actually take the books and put them to one side to be reshelved, rather than trust that I've pressed all the buttons properly, and that it'll be picked up out of that lonely looking little bin. Poor little book, dropping into the great unknown like that. Might get hurt.

Secondly, I think it's going to be a pain to not have a desk to rest on when I'm returning a number of books or taking them out. And I'm having trouble remembering my library pin (I'd set it to the same as my bank pin, but that would be incredibly stupid). And I'm worried about the librarian's jobs. I know they'll still be there, but will they need as many of them?

No comments: