Thursday 13 November 2008

In Which We Discuss The Witcher

I first heard about the videogame The Witcher when I was randomly clicking on links on TV Tropes -

- you know, I just went to take a look at that site again, to double check which article I first found mention of the Witcher on, and it sucked me right in again. It's the Wikipedia effect, as illustrated by XKCD:



- anyway, yes, I heard about The Witcher on TV Tropes. It was mentioned because the results of the many moral choices you make in the game aren't immediately apparent. For instance, choosing to spare someone in the first act may change what happens in, for example, the fourth act. I thought that was fascinating, so I read some more about the game, then went and got the library to order the book (written by Andrzej Sapkowski) for me.

I started reading the book last night, and I can really see why it was made into a game. It's got a very strong mythological feel, and a lot of the events The Witcher comes up against are loosely based on fairy tales, but more horrible (reminding me of Tanith Lee in places). It also reminded me a little of Three Hearts and Three Lions, by Poul Anderson. It's a really fascinating fantasy novel, and I wants the sequels. Now please.

No comments: