Thursday 13 November 2008

In Which We Discuss Charity Shops

I like them.

When I was little, my grandmother would take me with her when she went shopping, and charity shops always have lots and lots of cheap books. I remember when they were 5-10p each. Those days are over, but charity shops are still good for a bargain. I found one the other day that only charges 20p for a paperback, and got a fiver's worth. Was a nightmare getting those home.

The other handy thing about charity shops is that you're never quite sure what you're going to get. It lets you look at books you've never heard of it and might not have thought of. It's how I discovered authors like Jenny Colgan, Lisa Jewell and Sheri Tepper, for a start.

Plus, you know, you're helping people. Not a major concern (I'm altruistic when it suits me, not for the sake of it), but still nice.

No comments: