Friday 10 July 2015

In Which We Discuss Books I Read in my 26th Year, Week 45/52



16th to 23rd June.  6 books this week!

On thing I found out over the last fortnight; I live between Sandwell and Dudley, which are seperate library zones.  One lets me take out twenty books at a time, the other thirty.  I still work in Solihull, which is yet another library zone, on the other side of Birmingham.  So that's four library cards and a total of 66 books at a time that I can have.  That plus the longer commute - a whole hour a day to sit and do nothing but read - is probably why I've been reading more.

Shopaholic Abroad or Shopaholic Takes Manhattan in the US is the second in the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella.  I don't think I'll reread the rest right now.  The third book is okay but it goes rapidly downhill after that.

Thinner was the first Bachman book I ever read.  I listened to it as an audiobook this time, on three times speed.  I need to write a longer post about it soon; I read it as part of my Stephen King project.

The Mumpreneur diaries wasn't that good.  I read it because I wanted to read something like Save Karyn or In the Red or How I Lived on a Pound a Day, which is, incidentally, the same reason I read Happy Money.  It's the semi-true story of a woman who set up a business after having her second child.

I didn't think much of What's Wrong with Eating People? either.  It' a book of philosophical questions which adopts some lazy thinking.

Falling I loved and, again, listened to over a day or so.  I think I've definitely broken through the barrier of listening to books I've not read previously.  It's another of Christopher Pike's adult novels and packs at least three novels worth of plot into one fairly short volume.

Finally, I'm not quite sure how to feel about The Woman Who Stole My Life.  It's mostly about a woman who was temporarily paralysed everywhere apart from her eyes, which is my personal worst nightmare.  She accidentally dictates a book by blinking which becomes a best-seller, something which is resented by her husband because he's supposed to be the creative one.  And then it's about a manipulative little shrew who decides to take advantage of the success.

No comments: