Friday 10 July 2015

In Which We Discuss Books I Read in my 26th Year, Week 46/52



June 23rd to June 30th. Another 7 books this week.

After the Party I listened to as an audiobook.  Ralph's Party, which this is a sequel to, wasn't my favourite of Jewell's novels though it is the first one I read (and the first she wrote).  I guess I'm glad to have found out what happened to Ralph and Jem, but actually I don't like them very much.

The Secret Shopper Affair and The Secret Shopper Unwrapped are both sequels to The Secret Shopper's Revenge.  It surprises me very much that I didn't reread The Secret Shopper's Revenge before the two sequels, which I have admittedly read before.  It's only recently that I've gotten out of the habit of reading an entire series before reading the latest book.

The Paying Guests is the first Sarah Water's book I've read.  It came highly recommended, and I quite enjoyed it.

I liked Nobody's Girl better than I thought I would.  It's about a teenage girl struggling to find her place in the world and cope with the fact her father hasn't been around since she was conceived.  I particularly like that she stands up for herself where other characters would have perhaps cried a bit more and come round to a slow, subtle sort of revenge.

Half-Assed is, as it says, a weight-loss memoir.  I liked the author, and following her journey, and I think she made some very sensible points.

I liked Fly in the Ointment even though I did just have to look up exactly which novel it was.  I read so many Anne Fine's over the last month.  It's from the point of view of a doting grandmother dealing with a harridan of a daughter in law.

No comments: