Thursday 9 July 2015

In Which We Discuss Books I Read in my 26th Year, Week 44/52

The week of 9th June to 16th June.  Nine books!

Two were audiobooks - The Day I Died and Witch WorldWitch World is one of Christopher Pike's adult novels and it is amazing.  I listened to it over one day, which, considering I still struggle with focusing on audio books, was pretty good for me.  I didn't even take it up past two times speed.

The Day I Died was a bit of a let down.  It's been on my pinterest of desired books for a while but I only got around to getting it recently.  Very short.  A bunch of teenage ghosts talking about how they died.  Terrible parodies of the hitchiking ghost and the monkey paw.

Save Karyn is a book I've read several times before.  True story of a woman who got herself into loads of debt and then created a website asking people to donate money to pay it off (she has since earned enough to donate an equal amount to charity).  I got this book second-hand several years ago, which I was pleased about because I wasn't sure how I felt about paying her for her story.  I've now donated that copy again because I've decided I'm okay with buying it on kindle.  I've read the book four or five times over the past few years and that's easily worth the £3-4 it costs.

Happy Money is a non-fiction book about the ways to buy the most happiness.  Typically, spending money on other people and on experiences gives you the most value.  Things like owning an expensive car are surprisingly unimportant because it very quickly becomes the thing you drive to work in.

Fifth Elephant was the third Discworld book I ever read, after The Colour of Magic and Jingo.  That would have been just under fifteen years ago.  I was listened to it in the car with Tom.  I forgot that that's an audiobook too.  We started it when we went to Cornwall in March.

Pruning Trees, Shrubs and Climbers focused more on ornamental plants than vegetables.  And I'm still not totally sure what pruning fruit shrubs into a bowl shape is supposed to look like.

I went through a bit of an Anne Fine phase at this point.  Both Taking the Devil's Advice and Raking the Ashes are adult novels, and they're the kind of small social group drama that she does really well.

Five Children on the Western Front is a sequel to E. Nesbitt's Psammead trilogy, focusing on what happens when the children are young adults in the midst of world war 1.  



No comments: